Sunday, May 6, 2012

My last letter

This one is actually written to all my dear friends that I made while traveling East Africa with the School of Field Studies:

Hamjambo wanafunzi,

After thinking all day about everything that is about to happen, I'm really not sure what to say. There really are no words to describe the connection that we have made with each other over the course of the semester. I've laughed with you all, almost cried with you, hugged you and chilled with most if not all of you. I really hate thinking about us breaking up the band like this, but to be honest, this is only the beginning. Leaving Africa will probably be harder than I'm expecting, but after this trip, I'll be able to look back on this safari with some major pride. I know you all probably think I'm full of crap, but you guys are some of the greatest people I've ever met, and I couldn't have asked for a better family abroad. I really hope that you guys learned as much from me as I did from each and every one of you. I want to be able to see each other again so... we're just gonna have to make that happen. From the first encounters at the airport, to the switch, to these final days, I just wanna say from the pit of my stomach and the bottom of my heart that I sincerely love all of you like family.

On that note, I want to extend an invitation to join me in Africa when I come back in the next five years. I have some really lofty goals, but if I'm able to make it happen, I want you guys to be some part of it.I also hope with the deepest of hopes that we can all meet up again sometime. I can't name all the things I'll miss about each of you or I'll tear up but.. lets just say I'll really miss you guys. ALOT. It'll be really weird being alone again, and I'm not looking forward to that. One thing I am looking forward to is keeping in contact so that we can get through this experience together. To the end.

Wanafunzi! What makes the grass grow?!

Sincerely,
-Ian C. Easterling

Today was the best last day I could have hoped for. Look out, America. I'm comin' home.

SWOD is kwaheri which means "good-bye"

Goodbye to all the faculty and staff here at the SFS East Africa Program. I know ya'll probably wont read this, but I still want to give you a shout out. To the citizens of rural Africa, I'll pray for you. I hope to make an impact in both of these countries one day, not just in conservation of wildlife, but also the implementation of justice and the quality of life for your people.

Africa ni peponi. Ninataka kuondoa Africa kwa mimi. Na nitafanya.

Tutaonana,
-Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment