Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Boma and the Maasai Mamas

Hamjambo everyone!

The Swahili will probably get annoying, but bear with me. I'm trying to learn and the more I repeat stuff the better I'll get it. Today was the second true day of classes and man this stuff never gets old. We talked about Wildlife Ecology and also the history of Kenya in Environmental policy. It's amazing how tribalism corrupts the government, and yet I still like things better here. I was almost seriously thinking about running for the President of Kenya (maybe when I'm older).

Today was also the second swahili and maasai culture lesson. I can't wait to get out there and use what I've learned. The staff and other students are really encouraging as well as the common people. I'm gonna be speaking well in no time.


After classes today, we went over to our neighbors' home to see a Maasai boma, or homestead. It was an incredible experience. The women (Maasai mamas) greeted us with a song and dance, and we performed the Waka Waka song by Shakira back to them. I'll have to say that both parties fully enjoyed the experience. The Maasai lifestyle is a pretty cool way to go. Yeah they have none of the perks of being a first world people, but they are so joyful and can totally take care of themselves in any situation. Their warriors are also super badass. They are called the Moran (yeah Dad I know it sounds like moron..) but they look so awesome with all the beads and the traditional clothing. So I have decided that instead of a tattoo, I'm just gonna deck myself out in Maasai-wear, including the spear.

Anyways, the Swahili word of the day, upon Brian's request, is safi. This word means clean, or fresh. For example, if I greeted you by saying, "Habari(which means 'how are you')", you could say, "safi"like we would say cool.

Tutaonana
-Ian

1 comment:

  1. Safi here.
    I bet the warriors have more interesting personal identifiers like specific slices, cuts, burns and scars. Maybe you could add a couple of those instead of the tattoo.
    Tutaonana,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete