Thursday, February 16, 2012

Jina langu ni Ian

Hamjambo everyone!

Man it's been a seriously hectic week. Assignments to turn in, places to go, people to see. I think for me more than anything there has been a serious transformation, but not in the way you would think. To all you bros, I know that the way I dress and act is a bit unorthodox, but bear with me. Sometimes, what you guys do makes you look like stuck up jerks. Remember what fraternity means. I've talked to all these girls on the trip and they keep telling me how bad guys are and bros are usually the worst offenders.

However I am now admitting (publicly over the internet) that I am actually a bro in every sense. Just mostly the good ones I hope.

Sawa sawa. Man this has been an eventful week. We gave blood on Monday, went to a primary school on Tuesday, had an assignment due and a field exercise Wednesday, went to the Maasai cultural manyatta yesterday, and today we have a homestay in a Maasai boma. SO PUMPED. Then tomorrow we are going back to Amboseli to count large mammals and game birds.

Busy, yeah? That along with the fact that my girlfriend and I almost took a break (don't worry, we talked it out) AND one of my friends from the trip had to go home due to health issues. Both of which are named Taylor. So Taylor, when you read this(yes I'm talking to both of you) know that I'm thinkin about you and I hope you're okay.


Yesterday was eye-opening to me culturally. I saw how it could be used to exploit tourism and the half truths associated with it. I think that visitors need to open their eyes. And although I am critical of the "fake" villagers, I understand that they ARE Maasai and it is THEIR culture so if they are getting no economic benefit from anything else, then sometimes you resort to half truths. It was also a ton of fun jumping with the Maasai moran. Apparently there are cool pictures but I have yet to see them. Being a Maasai man today will be really cool also. Like I said.. SO PUMPED.

Oh and on a side note, I tried to lighten my hair with a mixture of like honey, cinnamon, olive oil and water. It made my hair really soft but i'm not sure if the lightening stuff worked. Either way, if you see funny Facebook pics of me with saran wrap on my head, that's why. And don't judge, I'm just tryin new stuff. So if you don't like the jewelry or hair or bandana or hat or swagger, that's tough.

The Swahili Word of the Day is "kulinda" which means "to protect" 
                                                           "msichana" which means "girl"
Ninalinda msichana wangu

Shout out to the friends and family! Sorry I haven't blogged in a while.

Jina langu ni Ian. Forever.





1 comment:

  1. GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE OK!! CROSSWORD PUZZLE WORD YESTERDAY WAS "SWAHILI" I GOT IT ONLY BECAUSE OF YOUR EXPEDITION. WE DO NOT HAVE FACEBOOK BUT MAYBE YOUR DAD CAN HELP US SEE YOUR PICTURES. LOVE THE A'S

    ReplyDelete