Sunday, February 26, 2012

hakuna matata y'all

Hamjambo wanafunzi! Habari gani?
As for me? Hakuna Matata. Things are going well. Yesterday we visited Oloitoktok which is nearer to Kilimanjaro and the Tanzanian border. We went on a hike into a ravine, and there we found one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. There was a small river full of pure, clear water, a waterfall, huge rain-forest trees, and moss covered rocks. Pretty sure that's where Timon and Pumbaa lived.

Later we went to the VCT where we learned the stories of five incredibly strong women who were living with the HIV virus. Ya know I think Africa is rubbing off on me, considering I shook their hands without a second thought. Pretty sure I would've thought about it if I was in America. I also should have been more concerned about when I donated blood a week ago. But as the title of this blog post suggests... no worries.

After buying a few things at the clinic and the market in Oloitoktok, I got all dressed up to attend a Maasai wedding. We got invited pretty much last minute, but I was so pumped to go. Man it may be the coolest ceremony I've ever been a part of. Jumping, dancing, having fun. Patrick and I also got to see our homestay brothers. All the girls here have a major crush on him too. Gosh I wish I could give him a bid now. Maybe he can't speak English, but he is still the man.

To all the friends, family, and the significant other at home. Check out the new look! I think red is an okay color on me personally. Comment and tell me what you think.

Swahili word of the day today is actually maasai:

Maasai Word of the Day: ashe oleng which means "thank you, very much"

bro tip tomorrow!

Tutaonana
-Ian

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ian,
    Just got the link to your blog from Grandy. Uncle Nathan and I really enjoyed reading it. I went to Africa in 2000 (South Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe) so I can see why you are loving the continent - it is a beautiful place and people.
    I think any time you leave North America for an extended period to live/work/study, it changes your perspective and it sounds like you are also learning a TON. So great that you are doing what you love. Have fun and be safe!
    Aunt Kelly and Unc Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  2. ENJOYED YOUR BLOGS OF LAST WEEK & LOVED THE "GARB" YOU ALWAYS HAVE A BIG SMILE. KNOW YOU ARE VERY BUSY BUT THE CULTURE TIMES SEEM TO BE GREAT FUN. DON'T BE AFRAID OF HIV VIRUS JUST BE SMART IF YOU HAVE ANY SMALL CUTS BE SURE YOU SCRUB THEM WELL. USE ANTISEPTIC IF YOU HAVE IT. IF YOU COME IN CONTACT WITH ANY BLOOD CONSIDER IT CONTAMINATED & YOU WILL BE FINE. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!! THE AUNT & UNCLE A'S

    ReplyDelete